Enter email address to subscribe. by Bloglet

10.12.2004

Herbs

Herbs are essential. Fresh herbs are even more essential. Even just a little chopped fresh Italian Flat Leaf Parsley sprinkled into macaroni and cheese makes it gourmet. Herbs are also incredibly expensive to buy at the store (except for the $1.99 basil they sell at Trader Joe's.) If I had a recipe that called for a fresh herb I would buy it, use the little bit I needed and then the rest would inevitably rot in the fridge. So, long story short, I decided to grow the herbs I most frequently use in cute little pots on my balcony. I grow basil, parsely, rosemary, and thyme. If you decide to invest in a little plant I recommend basil first. It is so amazing because now when I need a little of an herb for a recipe, I just go out to the balcony and harvest it. I feel like a little farmer. A little farmer that makes an excellent pesto. I bought my plants at Lowe's hardware store and they cost about $1.99 a plant. And they just keep on giving.

6 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Paul and I grew a basil plant and a lavender plant this summer as a suppliment to our garden and we used the basil ALL of the time, they are essential!!!

2:11 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

Isnt basil just the best and most versitile? you can use it in thai, italian, french whatever! john and i love to eat fresh mozzarella, tomato and basil sandwiches with it.

3:33 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

We also grow our own herbs and they are fantastic. I always end up with unused plants at the end of the season, so this year I am drying mint, lemon thyme, lavendar and a bit of sage and using them as an herbal tea. I don't crush the leaves, but put them whole into an infuser and just let them brew away. Use more than you would think is necessary if you want a lot of flavor. Mint is good for stomach aches and lavender is relaxing, so it's good for you and a good aromatic experience.

Yay leah I love your site!

8:49 AM  
Blogger Sans Job said...

What a great idea. You've inspired me to grow some herbs of my own. Great site, by the way. Thanks for the inspiration. --Sans Job

10:04 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

hey sans job--glad you like the site! i am practically sans job myself for the moment too, which is why my blog is looking so damn fine.

10:20 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

Shan- i love your comments! i have thought about mint myself and might give it a go. great idea about the herb drying. the nice this here in cali is that there is no season..they'll grow all year!

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home