Enter email address to subscribe. by Bloglet

10.14.2004

Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup


The other night I made a really good grilled cheese on this sprouted multigrain bread which really makes it a more filling sandwich. I served it with a baby romaine salad dressed with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar (just a TINY bit of each goes a long way!) and a homemade tomato soup that was so easy and so delicious. Here is the recipe:

Tomato Soup

Ingredients
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce (or 1 cup if you have a 15oz can of tomato sauce)
2 cup rice milk (if you are using regular milk I might suggest using 1 cup milk and one cup water so it won't be too rich)
1 tablespoon cornstarch (I used Nutritional Yeast which has vitamins vegetarians need as well as flavor and thickening properties)
PINCH of onion granules (i'll post about these) or onion powder (less if using onion powder)

Directions:
Add 1 1/2 cups of milk and 8 oz. tomato sauce, and the soy sauce to a sauce pan and heat but don't boil. Mix 1 T. cornstarch with remaining 1/2 cup of milk or water. Add cornstarch/milk/water mixture to soup, stirring constantly until thickened. Add the onion granules and whatever other seasonings you want. I used a tiny amount of dry basil, oregano and red pepper flakes.

Serve the soup with the salad and grilled cheese. I had a glass of pinot grigio in my little european wine glasses with it as well.

2 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

I love drinking out of a nice glass. It makes a great difference in the dining experience, which sounds cheesy, but can make you feel so good. Teacups included. I must have a good teacup for my tea. I drank water out of a very nice goblet the other day and that was lovely. I want to purchase some but they really need to cost about .50 each. Any suggestions? I like World Market and we have a crate and barrel outlet. I think I just answered my own question.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Leah said...

ooh--crate and barrel outlet sounds like trouble. in a good way. its pretty cheap already so an outlet might make me buy way too many things that i dont need. i am a fanatic for drink-ware. i always drink my espresso out of a cute little demitasse with a matching saucer. same for tea and coffee: i have the cup and saucer deal.

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home