Enter email address to subscribe. by Bloglet

10.15.2004

Chocolate Hazelnut Spread


**Update: Recipe**
When we were in France this summer I fell in love with Nutella. This chocolate hazelnut spread is creamy and amazing on any bread. Let's face it, sometimes I like a little chocolate for breakfast. In the states I've tried to buy it but it contains partially hydrogenated soybean oil. In Europe that was not on the list of ingredients. Partially hydrogentaed soybean oil (sometimes called fracitonated oil as well) is probably why America is so fat and unhealthy. It makes foods able to have really long shelf lives, so imagine what it must do inside your body! I make it a point to never buy anything that contains it. So, for that reason I haven't been able to induldge my love of Nutella since Europe. I decided I would just make my own. It is delicious and much healthier since it's made from scratch. It seems to last forever so the work that it requires really pays off. Here is the recipe:

Chocolate Hazelnut Spread

Ingredients (These ingredients are approximations. Add or subtract for your taste)
1 cup good quality chocolate chips (Trader Joe’s has excellent ones, Ghiardelli is a good brand from regular grocery stores)
¼ cup milk (soy, half+half, reg. Milk)
¼ lightly packed brown sugar
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup roasted, unsalted hazelnuts (I used roasted, salted and then just rinsed the salt off)

Directions
1. Heat the chocolate and milk in a large glass bowl that is sitting on top of a pot of slowly boiling water. (this is essentially called a double boiler) Stir the chocolate making sure it doesn’t burn. Add more milk if it looks like it won’t become liquid. Be patient.
2. In a food processor pulverize the hazelnuts as finely as possible.
3. Turn off the heat once chocolate has liquefied and is creamy. Add the salt, brown sugar, and vanilla extract. Stir until sugar and salt dissolve
4. Add the hazelnuts to the chocolate mixture and mix well.
5. Put the spread into a bowl and refrigerate until firm.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenny said...

leah, this website is amazing! i am so impressed with it & i love your design. i LOVE nutella (especially on bananas or strawberries...or just by the spoonful), so this is definitely one recipe i'll have to try. i'm trying to become more conscious of what's in foods and i think your website is going to be my best source of info.

2:31 PM  
Blogger $saver said...

wow this is great I try to make what I can at home, and to avoid processed food. I'm a regular on www.moneysavingexpert.com in the uk. Hello to you all in the USA:)

1:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home