I make risotto with brown rice instead of arborio because it is so healthy for you. I made this last night and it got rave reviews from john. Here is the recipe. (Sorry no pic!)
Cremini risotto with Spinach
· 2 cups crimini or portobello mushrooms, sliced
· 2 cups vegetable broth
· 2 tablespoons olive oil
· 1 medium onion, chopped
· 2 cloves garlic, minced
· 1 cup uncooked short grain brown rice
· 1/2 cup dry white wine
· 1 tablespoon lemon juice
· 1/4 cup nutritional yeast or ¼ grated parmesan reggiano
· Black pepper to taste
· 1 pound spinach leaves, washed and chopped
· 1 clove garlic, minced
1. Heat the vegetable broth to boiling over high heat in a large saucepan.
2. Reduce heat to low and simmer.
3. In another large saucepan (the one the risotto will end up in), heat oil over medium heat.
4. Cook mushrooms, onions, and garlic in the oil, stirring often, for about four minutes.
5. Add rice, wine, and simmering broth.
6. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring often.
7. When the mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 25 minutes.
8. Turn off heat and allow to stand, covered, for ten minutes.
9. At this time, cook the spinach in a large sauce pan with olive oil and a clove of garlic just until it starts to wilt. You don’t want it to turn olive green. It should stay a nice dark green color. This only take a few minutes.
10. Add lemon juice and nutritional yeast or cheese to the risotto and stir well, until the mixture becomes creamy.
11. Serve with fresh parsley garnish a top the spinach.
12. Serves four.